This kb article will tell you how to set up a free conference call or meeting using Lync. Participants can join using a phone, Lync, or their web browser. This technology can be used by UNH Staff, as well as outside participants. Lync does not need to be installed on participant computers. Video conferencing is only supported using Lync or the free Lync Attendant.
- Creating the meeting
- Joining the meeting
- Using your phone
- Using your computer
- Questions or Issues?
1. Creating the Meeting
- In Outlook, click on the Home tab > New Items > Online Meeting...
- A new meeting window will appear with Lync information pre-filled in for you. This is the same type of meeting as every other Outlook meeting you've ever completed, but meeting information is already filled in for you.
- If you only want participants joining via phone, include the "Join by phone" instructions and the conference ID #, and delete everything else. Participants will then call the number and be prompted to enter the conference ID #. This is a great free alternative to AT Conference.
- Note: If you haven't set up a PIN number before (which is only used by the conference host), please visit https://dialin.unh.edu/ and click "Sign In" to set up a PIN. Call 603-862-4242 if you experience any issues.
- If you'd like to include the options for particpants to join via an online meeting, you can send the email as is. Users can join via Lync (If they have it installed), via their browser, or via the Lync Attendant (Free download). Users can only participate using Voice & Video with the Lync Attendant, not the browser client. If they use the browser client to view the host's desktop and other virtual meeting features such as whiteboard and chat, they will need to phone in to use voice.
2. Joining the Meeting
These instructions explain how end-users can join the meeting once they've received a meeting invite from you.
Some important notes:
- Participants using Lync or the Lync Attendee will have access to the full set of capabilities: They can share video from their webcam, sound from their headset, and content from their computer's desktop.
- Participants calling into the phone number can only particpate via voice.
- Participants using their browsers cannot use their webcam or headset, they will need to phone-in in addition to using their computer to view interactive content online (such as other participants' desktops, webcams, etc...). They can install the Lync Attendee software to use their webcam/headset.
- The "Call me at" feature of Lync does not work - UNH IT has disabled this feature
- Partipants joining via Lync will join muted. Participants joining via phone will join unmuted.
- When the option to join an online meeting in your browser appears after clicking the Join Online Meeting link in the meeting details, select Use Communicator if you have Microsoft Lync installed. Communicator is the older name for Lync.
2.1: To Join via Phone
2.1.1. To join via phone, simply call the phone number listed in the email invite (Step 1 below). When prompted, enter the conference ID number in the email invite, followed by # (Step 2 below).
If you are the conference leader, press *, and then enter your PIN. If you do not have a PIN or you forgot it, go to https://dialin.unh.edu/. You must join as the leader when dialing in over the phone, otherwise, the meeting will not start and particpants will be stuck listening to hold music until you join as a leader.
You should now be in the meeting, and be able to speak with other meeting particpants.
2.2: Join using your Computer
2.2.1. Click on the "Join Online Meeting" link.
2. Your browser will open, and may start Lync automatically, or it may ask you what you want to do.
- If you have Microsoft Lync or Office Communicator installed, click on the Use Communicator option (Lync has superseeded Communicator).
- If you would like to use your computer's webcam and microphone to join the conference, select the Download and install Lync Attendee option. Follow the instructions on your screen.
- If you would like to simply join using your web browser (microphone and webcam not supported), select the Join the meeting using your web browser option.
3. Questions or Issues?
If you have any questions or run into any problems, please contact the UNH Help Desk at (603) 862-4242. They are open Monday-Friday, 7:30AM - 5:00PM.